Cucumber raita is a delicious homemade raita recipe made with yogurt, fresh cucumber, spices, and herbs. It is a perfect Indian side dish that can be served as an accompaniment with pulao, biryani or any other Indian meal.
- 1 large cucumber (grated)
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chilli or red chilli powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala or as required
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves or fresh mint leaves chopped
- First, rinse the cucumber well.
- Then peel and finely grate the cucumber into a bowl. You can also use tiny bite-size pieces.
- Take a muslin cloth and drain all the excess water from the cucumber.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the chilled yogurt until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add the grated cucumber to the yogurt.
- Add salt as required, and spices into the mixture.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander or mint leaves.
- Serve chilled.
- Make sure, the cucumber is not bitter or sour in taste. Always taste the cucumber before making the raita. If you prefer, you may slice lengthwise cucumber and then scrape out the seeds using a spoon before grating. If you are using English cucumber then don’t worry about the seeds. Just peel and grate it.
- Instead of regular yogurt, you can also use Greek yogurt to make raita. Greek yogurt will give a thicker, creamier texture to this raita.
- If you prefer a very thin consistency of raita, then you can add cucumber water or plain water. Cucumber releases a lot of water, as a result, raita becomes thin in consistency.
- You may sprinkle some Kashmiri red chili powder and roasted cumin powder on top before serving. Roasted cumin powder helps in indigestion.
- If you are not serving immediately, cover the raita with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge. The raita stays fresh in the refrigerator.
- Cucumber raita is the perfect option for vrat or fasting, only replacing regular salt with rock salt (seindha namak).
- Category: Raita
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Kheera Raita Recipe, Raita Recipes, How to make fresh Cucumber Raita, 5 Minutes Raita Recipe