Lemon coriander soup is a delicious and nutritious soup that combines the tangy flavours of lemon with the aromatic freshness of coriander (also known as cilantro). It is a popular dish in Indian and Southeast Asian cuisine. Here’s a description of the soup, health benefits, serving suggestions, tips, and variations:
About this Recipe:
Lemon coriander soup typically has a clear or slightly thickened broth base infused with lemon juice and garnished with chopped coriander leaves. It often contains additional vegetables, such as carrots, mushrooms, and onions, for added texture and flavor. The soup is known for its refreshing and zesty taste.
Lemon coriander soup offers several health benefits:
Immune-boosting: Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C, which supports immune function and helps fight off common colds and infections.
Antioxidant-rich: Coriander leaves are packed with antioxidants that help protect the body against free radicals and oxidative stress.
Digestive aid: The combination of lemon and coriander has digestive benefits. Lemon juice stimulates the production of digestive juices, while coriander has carminative properties that can help with indigestion and bloating.
Lemon coriander soup is typically served as a starter or appetiser. It can be enjoyed on its own or paired with bread, such as crusty baguettes or garlic bread, for a more substantial meal. Garnish each bowl with a sprig of fresh coriander leaves for added visual appeal.
Adjust the amount of lemon juice according to your taste preferences. Start with a smaller quantity and add more if desired.
Feel free to customise the vegetables used in the soup based on your preference and availability.
To enhance the flavour, you can add a touch of ginger or garlic while sautéing the vegetables.
For a heartier version, you can add cooked shredded chicken or tofu cubes to the soup.
If you prefer a thicker consistency, you can add a cornstarch or flour slurry to the soup and simmer until it thickens.
Some variations include the addition of spices like cumin or turmeric for extra flavour.
To make it spicier, you can add chopped green chilies or a dash of hot sauce.
Enjoy the refreshing and delightful flavours of lemon coriander soup, which is not only a delicious starter but also offers numerous health benefits.Print
This hot and flavourful lemon coriander soup is a clear vitamin-rich soup recipe made with lemon and coriander leaves. It has a good amount of vitamin C where lemon gives a sour taste and coriander has a subtle citrus taste which helps to drive your cold and cough away. So, this soup has both taste and health benefits. Do try this in the coming monsoon
- 2.5 cups vegetable stock or hot water
- ½ cup carrot, finely diced
- ½ cup cabbage, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon aromat powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon corn flour slurry
- 1 medium size fresh coriander leaves bunch, finely chopped
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion greens (optional)
- Soy Sauce
- First, in a large wok, add root vegetable stock and let it boil on high heat.
- While it is boiling, add finely diced carrot to give colour to the soup.
- Also, add chopped cabbage and finely chopped coriander stems.
- Add salt, white pepper powder, and aromat powder. Mix well and let it boil for about 5 minutes.
- Prepare the cornflour slurry by mixing 1 tablespoon cornflour and ¼ cup water.
- Mix well, make sure there are no lumps.
- Add the prepared slurry into the soup and mix well.
- Let it boil for 2 minutes until the flavours are well combined and the soup thickens.
- Add some freshly chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice and cook for a minute, so the soup absorbs the flavour of fresh coriander leaves.
- Turn off the flame. and add chopped coriander and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Pour the prepared lemon coriander soup into the soup bowls.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves or spring onion greens
- Serve hot with chilli vinegar, and soya sauce.
- To prepare the vegetable stock, always use the root part of the vegetables. This enhances the taste and strength both in the soup than using water.
- While making this soup, also add coriander stems and the roots portion to the stock, which gives more flavour to the soup.
- I have added carrot and cabbage in this recipe to give this soup a bite texture. You may add other vegetables or leave, if required.
- Carrot not only gives a crunch or bite texture but also gives this soup a colour. Make sure the vegetables are not over-cooked and maintain their crunch.
- Instead of white pepper powder, you can add black pepper powder.
- Aromat Powder makes soups taste better and flavorful.
- Always add lemon juice at the end, else it gives some bitterness to the soup.
- Category: Appetizers, Soup
- Cuisine: Global
Keywords: Veg lemon and coriander soup, Easy and healthy soup recipe, How to make lemon coriander clear soup, Monsoon Recipe