Warm Apple Fritters are a treat during apple season and they are ready in just 30 minutes. The batter has a secret ingredient the produces a fluffy coating that’s crisp on the outside and soft inside. Imagine Glazed Donuts stuffed with an apple ring.
My kids love homemade apple fritters and there are never any leftovers. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is to make apple fritter rings at home.
We love apple recipes from classic Apple Pie to flaky Apple Turnovers. If you are a fan of apple desserts, this Apple Fritter Recipe is a must-try!
What are Apple Fritters?
Apple fritters are essentially apple donuts; apples dipped in a simple batter and deep-fried in oil. If you prefer, you can chop up apples into small pieces and spoon mounds of apple fritter batter into the oil to make clusters of apple fritters. We love to fry them as Apple Fritter Rings because they look like donuts – super cute, easier to eat, and they are less likely to fall apart in the oil.
Ingredients for Apple Fritters
Apples – select crisp, sweet-tart apples such as golden delicious, Granny Smith, honey crisp.
Lemon juice – squeezed over the apples to prevent browning
Flour – all-purpose flour works great
Sugar – lightly sweetens the batter
Baking powder – makes the batter rise
Salt – balances the sweetness of the fritters
Milk – any fat content; from 1% to whole milk
Butter – creates a tender dough
Egg – use 1 egg yolk then fold in 2 beaten egg whites to make the batter extra fluffy
Oil – any high heat frying oil such as canola, vegetable oil, or peanut oil.
The Best Apple Peeler
If you love apple recipes, we highly recommend using an apple peeler. It will save you a ton of time and effort. It peels, cores, and slices your apples into perfect 1/4″-thick rings and there is no waste. We love this tool for Apple Pie, Apple Crisp, and it makes Apple Sauce super fast to prepare.
Be sure to keep the oil above 350˚ F while frying so the fritters don’t absorb too much oil.Print
Apple Fritters is a perfect, quick & easy dessert recipe that we absolutely love. These easy homemade Apple Fritters are essentially fried donuts packed with fresh apples and then finished off with a delicious coating of cinnamon & sugar, while still hot. Let’s get started!
For the Apple Fritter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into ¼” rings
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- Vegetable oil or canola oil for frying
- Powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar etc. for coating
Make the Batter
- In a bowl, add the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk together well with a hand whisk. Set this aside.
- In another large bowl, add milk, egg yolk, and melted butter.
- Whisk together until combined.
- Now gradually pour the flour mixture into wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- The batter should be thick like heavy cream.
- In a large frying pan, heat vegetable oil on medium-high heat until it turns hot.
- Meanwhile, peel and core apples. Then, slice each apple into ¼”- thick rings and place them in a shallow dish.
- Squeeze lemon juice over apple slices and use your hands to gently toss apple rings to coat with lemon juice (this will prevent browning).
- In a medium bowl, beat 2, egg whites with an electric hand mixer, egg beaters, or a whisk until stiff peaks form, but whites are not dry.
- If you over-beat, it will be difficult to blend. Use a spatula to gently fold whites into the batter until fully incorporated.
- Remove apple slices one at a time from the lemon juice, allowing any excess juice to drip back into the bowl then dip both sides of the apple in the batter to fully coat, allowing excess batter to drip back into the bowl.
- Fry 5 or 6 apple rings in hot oil at a time (to avoid crowding) for about 2 minutes until it turns golden browned and crisp from all sides. Flip it once.
- Then take out them with a strainer and transfer fritters to a paper tissue-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- To serve, dust with powdered sugar or dip both sides in cinnamon sugar.
- To make cinnamon sugar – Whisk together ½ cup sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- I would recommend peeling, core, and slice apples into perfect ¼ thick rings with using an apple peeler. It will save you a ton of time, effort and there is no waste.
- Squeeze lemon juice on apple rings to prevent from browning.
- Store them in an airtight container so they don’t dry out. They will last 2 days at room temperature, 1 week in the fridge, and 2-3 months in the freezer.
- You can also serve with some syrup drizzled over the top or a blob of ice cream!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Apple Fritters Recipe, Homemade Dessert Recipe, How to make Apple Fritters