Idli Manchurian, a delicious recipe made using leftover Idlis. It is a fusion food of Indo-Chinese and South Indian Cuisine. This Indo-Chinese snack is spicy and mildly sweet and sour.
Many recipes can be made with leftover idli. Some of them are :
- Idli Chaat
- Masala Idli and
- Idli Sandwich etc.
To make this recipe we need some leftover idlis. You can use plain, namkeen Idlis as per your choice. I have made this idli manchurian from plain idlis. If you are looking for plain Idli recipe then go though with this link Instant Suji Idli
Making this Manchurian is just similar to Paneer Manchurian, instead of paneer cubes, Idli pieces are used. The Idli pieces are coated with the batter and deep fry until crispy and then tossed in Manchurian sauce.
This recipe is easy to make and is liked by everyone including kids. You can make this recipe as an appetizer or as a snack with tea and can also pack it for kids lunch box. This recipe can also be enjoyed as a light dinner.
To make Idli Manchurian at home, follow this detailed instructions below.
Idli ManchurianPrint Recipe
- 6 idlis, use fresh or leftover idlis
- For Batter - ½ cup all purpose flour (maida)
- ¼ cup cornflour (cornstarch)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
- Water to make fine batter (as required)
- Oil for deep frying
- For Idli Manchurian Sauce - 2 teaspoon oil
- ½ medium onion finely chopped
- ½ capsicum cubed
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon red and green chilli sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soya sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 spring onion finely chopped (keep white and green part separated)
- Cut all the prepared idlis into samll bite size pieces and keep aside.
- Chop all the required veggies and keep aside.
For Batter –
Take all purpose flour, corn flour, kashmiri red chilli powder, black pepper, salt and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Mix together well.
Add little water to make a smooth batter. The batter should have dripping consistency and not be very thick.
Now dip 2-4 idli pieces in the batter at a time. Coat them evenly with the batter and gently drop them in the oil to deep fry.
Fry until they turn light golden brown and crispy from all sides.
Transfer the fried idlis to a plate over paper napkin.
For Idli Manchurian Sauce –
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan on low to medium flame. Add finely chopped onion and spring onion (only white part). Saute for a minute till it turns light pink.
Then add finely chopped garlic and ginger. Saute for a few seconds. If you prefer spicy, you can also add 1-2 green chillies.
Now add chopped capsicum. Saute for a minute.
Add tomato ketchup, chilli sauce and salt to taste.
Next add 2 teaspoons of soya sauce and vinegar. Mix well and cook for a minute.
Add the fried idlis to the pan and toss them in the sauce to coat the idli pieces completely.
To garnish, add chopped spring onion (only green part).
Idli Manchurian is ready. Serve hot with fried rice or just enjoy it as a snack.
- You can shallow fry Idli pieces if you don’t want to deep fry.
- If possible, use leftover Idlis for best result. If you are using fresh Idlis, plce them in fridge for at least 35 minutes to prevent them from crumbling.
- Do not increase the amount of soya sauce because it may change the taste.
- Do not make the Manchurian sauce in advance, as it soggy after some time. Serve hot always for better taste.