Sweet Chilli Potatoes are a delightful fusion of crispy fried potatoes tossed in a flavorful sweet and spicy sauce. This dish is made with the irresistible crunch of deep-fried potatoes and with the zing of a sweet and tangy chili sauce, making it a popular appetizer or snack.
In this recipe sweet chilli potatoes are a fantastic blend of textures and flavors. The potatoes are first parboiled to ensure they’re tender on the inside and then deep-fried until they turn golden and crispy. They are then tossed in a homemade sweet chili sauce that provides a perfect balance of sweetness and heat.
Here are the following ingredients you need to make these crispy potato bites.
Potatoes are the star of the dish, that provide the crispy texture for the flavors to shine.
Oil for Frying
Corn flour to thicken the sauce
Ginger and Garlic paste enhance the flavor with their aromatic qualities.
Red chilli flakes give a spicy kick.
Vinegar adds acidity for balance
Jaggery powder sweetens the sauce.
Water thins out the sauce and helps achieve the desired consistency.
Garnish with fresh spring onion greens, chopped onion, coriander, and sesame seeds.
Sweet Chilli Potatoes can be served as an appetizer or a side dish.
Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds for a more appealing presentation.
This recipe pairs well with a variety of Asian dishes, like fried rice or noodle dishes.
There are several creative variations to make Sweet Chilli Potatoes to suit different preferences or dietary needs.
You can replace regular potatoes with sweet potatoes for a natural sweetness and added nutrients.
Instead of deep-frying, bake the potato wedges or cubes with a light drizzle of oil for a healthier version.
Enhance the garlic flavor by using extra minced garlic in the sweet chili sauce.
Increase the amount of chili sauce, add red pepper flakes, or incorporate chopped fresh chilies to make it even spicier.
Add crispy tofu cubes along with the potatoes for a protein-packed version.
Add crushed peanuts for a crunchy, nutty element to your dish.
Thus, sweet chilli potatoes are a delightful treat that balances the rich crispiness of deep-fried potatoes with the sweet and spicy notes of the sauce. This versatile dish can be enjoyed as an appetizer or paired with other Asian-inspired dishes. Feel free to adjust the heat and sweetness to your liking, and explore variations to make it your own.
Enjoy the tantalizing blend of flavors and textures with every bite!Print
Sweet Chilli Potatoes are a fantastic blend of flavors and textures. The potatoes are first parboiled, cut into cubes or wedges, deep-fried until they turn golden and crispy and then tossed in a delectable sweet and spicy chilli sauce. This dish can be served as an appetizer or a side dish. Here is the recipe to make crunchy, tender and flavourful sweet chilli potato:
- 5–6 potatoes, parboiled and cut into cubes/dice
- Oil for frying
For Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder or flakes
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (sirka)
- 2 tablespoons jaggery powder or any sweetener (honey, brown sugar etc.,)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- Some spring onion green, finely chopped
- Onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan . Once hot, add the potato cubes to the hot oil, make sure they are not overcrowded. Fry in batches if needed.
- Fry until they turn golden brown and crispy from the sides. It will take about 5-7 minutes per batch.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the fried potatoes and place them on paper napkin to drain excess oil. Set them aside.
For sweet chilli sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine corn flour, garlic paste, red chilli powder or flakes, vinegar, jaggery powder and salt to taste along with 1 cup of water. Whisk well to thin the sauce slightly.
- Now put this slurry in a saucepan and heat it by continuing stirring till it becomes thick in consistency or translucent.
- Add the fried potato cubes into a serving dish.
- Pour the sweet chili sauce over the fried potatoes.
- Toss the potatoes in the sauce until they are evenly coated.
- Garnish with some chopped spring onion greens, chopped onion and finely chopped coriander.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds, if desired.
- Sweet Chilli potatoes are ready to serve.
- For a healthier version, you can bake the potatoes instead of deep-frying them.
- I would suggest parboiling the potato wedges or cubes before frying ensures that they cook evenly. Don’t overcook them; they should be partially tender but not fully done.
- To make it spicier, increase the amount of red chilli flakes or you may add chili sauce.
- Fry the potatoes in small batches to ensure even cooking and a crispy texture.
- After frying, use a paper napkin to drain excess oil from the potatoes to keep them crispy.
- Always use fresh ginger and garlic which will enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- If the sauce becomes too thick, add a bit of water to reach the desired consistency.
- You can also try using sweet potatoes for a different twist, which adds a natural sweetness.
- Additionally, you can customize the sauce with extra spices or seasonings like paprika, oregano, cumin, or black pepper powder.
- Category: Snacks, Appetiser
- Cuisine: Indo Chinese
Keywords: Sweet and Spicy Potato Bites, Potato Appetizer, Potato Dishes, Crispy Chili Potatoes, Easy Party Snack Recipe, Fried Potato Treats