Buttery, flaky, crispy Indian Cheese Twirls are a simple baked vegetarian snack that can be made in under 40 minutes with a blend of two cheeses -Mozzarella cheese, or Cheddar cheese, and with Indian spices inside. These super easy puff pastry cheese twists are a perfect snack or treat and also fantastic for kids lunch boxes. A delicious appetiser for the dinner party.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 cup milk or as needed
- 2 tablespoons curd
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Water (if required)
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- A pinch turmeric
- Butter as required
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
Prepare a dough for puff pastry
- In a medium size bowl, sift all-purpose flour well.
- Add milk, curd, oil and salt as per taste.
- Mix together everything with using a fork or your fingertips until you get a crumbly texture and the mixture holds together. Knead it by adding little water.
- Set aside and leave it to rest
For the filling
- In another bowl, add grated cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, finely chopped onions, coriander leaves, and also garam masala. Mix well and keep aside.
For puff pastry sheets
- Divide the dough into two parts and then sprinkle some flour onto a rolling board.
- Roll out the dough into two large thin sheets about 12×4 inches.
- Take one sheet and top it with your prepared cheese filling mixture, leave a 1cm gap at the edges of the pastry. Cover it up with another sheet and gently press to compact the cheese so it doesn’t all fall out when you twist.( make sure the edges are properly sealed)
- Cut the pastry into long rectangles about 5-6 cm wide.
- Roll them with both hands in opposite directions to form a twisted shape (one going clockwise and the other anti-clockwise)
- Brush them with a mixture of turmeric, butter, and milk.
- Sprinkle some kalonji seeds.
- Bake the cheese twirls in a preheated oven at 200C/400F for about 20-25 minutes until golden and crisp from all sides.
- Serve hot.
- I recommend always using cold pastry sheets before you begin the recipe. Place it in the fridge for at least an hour before you start. Then only take it out of the fridge after preparing your filling ingredients.
- If available, add yeast because of which a fermentation process begins quickly. It helps the baked food rise or puff, but also adds flavour to the recipe.
- You can use homemade garam masala instead of using store-bought garam masala.
- If you like, add green chilli as per your taste preference.
- Make sure the baked puff pastry is completely cooled before transferring it into a Ziploc bag or a dry airtight container. Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Cheese Straws, Easy Indian Cheese Twists, How to make Cheese Sticks, Cheese sticks with puff pastry