Potato Smiley or McCain Smiley is a popular potato-based easy to make snack that could be deep fried or baked with a pleasant smiley shape. Here is the homemade version of potato smileys that you can serve to your kids as an evening snack with any dip like tomato sauce or mayonnaise.
For potato smiley
- ½ kg potato
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- Salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons corn-starch
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup spring onion chopped
- Oil for frying
- Take ½ kg potatoes and peel them.
- Now, take a large bowl with enough water and put the potatoes.
- Then roughly slice the potatoes.
- Place a pot on flame, add water along with diced potatoes.
- Let the potatoes boil till they become soft or cooked well.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic and spring onions green.
- Once the potatoes boil, then strain the water and take them out in a strainer. Using a spatula, press the potatoes thoroughly so that you can get creamy and lumps free mashed potatoes.
- How to make Potato Smiley
- Add some butter and chopped garlic in a pan.
- Stir fry it.
- Add little water to prevent the garlic turning brown.
- Also, add all-purpose flour.
- Stir continuously and cook it for 30 seconds.
- Then add the mashed potatoes. Cook it for 2 minutes to combine the flour and potatoes together well.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down completely.
- Add finely chopped spring onions and corn-starch to form a soft non sticky dough.
- Now, start making smileys.
- Grease the surface with some oil.
- Make small balls out of the prepared potato dough and flatten them slightly thick like a cutlet or you can use a round cookie cutter or a glass to get an even shape.
- Make the eyes using a knife or chopstick and a thin teaspoon to give the smiley its smile!
- Now, in a pan or kadhai, add enough oil into it and deep fry the potato smileys on medium flame till they turn golden in color and crisp from both sides.
- Serve them with any sort of dip like tomato sauce or eggless mayonnaise.
- Make sure the potatoes are cooked well for this recipe, this will help to mash them easily. To check it, take out a potato dice on a kitchen towel, just press it with a fork or spoon.
- Using a corn-starch will make the potato smiley crispy or crunchy.
- You can also use butter paper to make smileys. Take a large ball sized potato dough and flatten slightly thick over butter paper. This prevents the dough from sticking.
- To make eyes on the smiley, use a straw or a clean pencil back or use a spoon to make a smile.
- You can also bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes until they turn golden brown and crisp.
- You can add dried fenugreek leaves, or coriander, or any herbs of your choice.
- If you wish, you can fry them later. Simply refrigerate them after shaping them or you can even freeze them in a zip-log bag. Deep fry them when needed.
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: American, French
Keywords: How to make Potato Smiley at Home, McCain Smiles Recipe, French fries with smiley face, Easy potato smiley recipe