Khichdi is a comfort food with a combination of steamed rice and lentils cooked in aromatic spices, most commonly eaten all over India. It is also known as KHICHURI. It is easy to make recipe given for many purposes like when you are sick or you want something very light and filling or most people prefer khichdi to be the food for babies. There are another reasons when to make khichdi such as : when you are in hurry or you don’t feel like cooking or when you have an upset stomach. It is a complete meal in itself. This recipe is healthy, wholesome and also gluten-free.
GUJARATI MOONG DAL KHICHDI (EASY ONE POT MEAL)
Green Moong Daal Khichdi is very quick, easy and healthy one pot meal from North-India. This dal khichdi is prepared with rice. dal and cooked in aromatic spices. To make khichdi, you can use almost any dal variety depending upon your individual choice and preference.
There are many people who don’t like the taste of khichdi and many are who loved this one pot meal. I prefer it to make once in a week because it is light, filling and very easy to digest.
There are many variations of Khichdi throughout India like some people made khichdi spicy and flavourful with using vegetables of their choice. This green moong daal khichdi is the perfect option when you want to have something very light and filling because moong dal is considered to be a light, nourishing, protein packed and easily digestible lentil. That is why it is given to babies as a first food. With few ingredients you can make the mild spiced, easy and healthy one pot meal .
The simple way to make dal khichdi is to just cook rice and lentil with salt to a soft and mushy texture. I often make for my lunch and dinner and serve it with papad, dahi, pickle and some chutney. A spoonful of ghee /clarified butter drizzled on top enhance the taste. Do not use oil because it didn’t taste good in khichdi.
Go through with this recipe when you are not in a mood to cook or you are not feeling well. Let us know your feedback in comment section.
Gujarati KhichdiPrint Recipe
- ½ cup khichdi rice (broken rice)
- ½ cup split green gram (green moong dal)
- 1 tablespoon ghee/clarified butter
- 4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh curd (dahi)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- First, in a bowl mix the rice and split moong dal and wash them thoroughly with water. Later soak them together in water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain the rice and dal from water.
- On medium flame heat the cooker, add desi ghee to melt.
- Now add 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, after a few seconds asafetida and then add 3 ½ cups of water.
- Next add salt to taste, mix well and give a good boil.
- Add rice and daal mixture to the boil mixture.
- Let it boil on high flame. Stir well.
- Add turmeric powder along with curd to change the color.
- After a minute of cooking, cover and cook the khichdi on high flame until it gives off 5 whistles or cook until it become soft and mushy.
- Give a 6th whistle on low flame.
- Switch off the flame and let the cooker cool off.
- Remove a lid, mix again and it is ready to serve.
- Add fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve with papad, dahi, pickle and chutney.
Tip – Khichdi with a dollop of butter is amazing. It just melts in your mouth. You can also add ghee