Masala Chaas/Mattha (Indian Spiced Buttermilk) is a popular and refreshing summer drink recipe made with mild spices, yogurt and herbs. It is ready in just 5 minutes, often served with any Indian meal or after meal. Here is how to make it.
To make Masala Chaas
- 1 cup (250 grams) fresh curd/yogurt
- 2 glasses chilled water or as needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 green chilli
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- 1/3 cup mint leaves (chopped)
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves (chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (crushed/grounded)
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- Few mint leaves for garnish
- Ice cubes (optional)
- oast the cumin seeds for 2 minutes on medium flame and grind it)
- until a frothy mixture is formed.
- Always use fresh curd instead of using pre-stored sour yogurt for the best results.
- You can skip coriander and mint leaves, if not available. Use dried mint leaves instead of fresh herbs.
- For roasted cumin powder: dry roast the cumin seeds on medium to low heat till turn golden brown and aromatic. Allow it to cool down completely. Then grind into a grinder jar (or use mortar-pestle if low in quantity).
- Masala chaas taste best when served chilled. Always use chilled water and curd for making chaas.
- While serving, you can add a few ice cubes, but if not serving right away then keep it in the refrigerator. At the time of serving, stir first and then pour chaas into the serving glass.
- If you like a thinner consistency in chaas or mattha, so feel free to add more water.
- Category: Drinks, Summer Drinks
- Cuisine: Indian, Punjabi
Keywords: Spicy Buttermilk Recipe, How to make Buttermilk at home, Indian Spiced Chaas, Mattha Recipe, Summer Drink Recipe