Sindhi Dal PakwanPrint Recipe
- FOR CHANA DAL - 1 cup Chana dal, Soak it for an hour
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ghee or oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ tomato, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed jeera
- 2 green chilli, slit
- 5-6 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (Haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (aamchur)
- A pinch asafoetida (Hing)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- FOR PAKWAN - 1 cup wheat flour / atta
- 1 cup Refined flour (maida)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, crushed
- ½ teaspoon Carom seeds (ajwain)
- Salt according to the taste
- 2 tablespoon Semolina (Suji or rawa)
- 2 tablespoon Oil, hot
- Water to knead the dough
- Oil to deep fry Pakwan
- FOR SERVING - 2 teaspoon green chutney
- 2 tablespoon tamarind chutney
- ½ Onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Chaat masala
- 2 teaspoon Coriander chopped
For Chana Dal Recipe
- Cook 1 cup soaked chana dal in a pressure cooker with 3 cups water at least for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Once the pressure release, remove the lid and check the dal. It has to be completely cooked. Keep aside.
- In a large heavy bottom, heat 1 teaspoon ghee, add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, 2 green chilli slits and few curry leaves to crackle.
- Then add ½ tomato and stir continuously on low flame till they turn soft and mushy.
- Now, add ½ teaspoon turmeric, ¼ teaspoon chilli powder, ½ teaspoon aamchur and a pinch asafoetida.
- Saute them until the aroma of the spices comes out.
- Once it is done, add cooked chana dal along with 1 cup of water.
- With this, also add salt to taste.
- Mix well.
- On medium flame, boil it for 5 minutes or until dal gets completely cooked.
- Turn off the flame and add ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder and 2 tablespoon coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Finally, sindhi chana dal is ready to be served with pakwan.
For Pakwan Recipe:
- Take 1 cup of wheat flour, 1 cup refined flour, ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp ajwain, 2 tablesppons suji and salt to taste in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix well all the ingredients. Make sure all the spices are combined well.
- Now pour hot oil over the flour mixture. It helps to make pakwan crispy.
- Crumbe the oil into dough well. Rub it with your hands. Be careful while mixing it.
- Then, slowly add water and start kneading to make slightly stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into a ball sized and flatten them.
- Slightly grease it with oil and roll it round in shape like paratha, not should be thick rolled nor thin, but medium size. This prevents to sticking the dough to rolling pin.
- Prick the pakwan with a knife or fork to prevent puffing up while frying.
- Now, deep fry the pakwan in hot oil on medium flame until turn golden brown and crisp.
- It takes around 4 minutes. To remove excess oil, transfer it on to a kitchen paper.
- Finally, enjoy Dal pakwan.
To serve Dal Pakwan:
- Pour the prepared chana dal into a bowl and top with 1 teaspoon of green chutney and tamarind chutney.
- Also top with 2 teaspoon of chopped onion, a pinch of chaat masala and coriander.
- Finally, enjoy this sindhi style Dal Pakwan.
- While making chana dal use 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp instead of tomato.
- On low to medium flame, fry the pakwan for a crunchy texture.
- Additionally, pakwan can be stored in an airtight container for 10-15 days once it’s cooled completely.